Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Power of the Word

The power of the word is real whether or not you are conscious of it. Your own words are the bricks and mortar of the dreams you want to realize. Behind every word flows energy.
-Sonia Choquette

Isn't that a beautiful statement? It reinforces the idea that you are the master of your fate; the captain of your soul. If you speak it or dream it, it will come to fruition. Exhale positivity and hopefully, God-willing, positivity will in turn be consumed.

I go back and forth on my feelings on fate, faith and the like. I consider myself deeply spiritual, but not religious. I write, I hypothesize...I believe in God or a higher power but I don't necessarily believe in institutionalized religion. I KNOW that there is something out there bigger than myself-the universe seems endless and possibilities infinite. I just can't wrap my head around exactly what it is and I'm not gullible enough (or faithful enough depending on how you look at it) to jump on the bandwagon and believe the hype. As english majors we're taught to read the Bible as the greatest story ever written. Alot of it aligns with what's taught in other religions and aludes to historical events. It's beautifully and vividly written. Do I think the Bible is valuable? Of course I do. Do I think it is more valuable than anybody else's book of worship? Not so much. The Bible, the Quran, the Torah...they all have something very special to offer the world.

Since I wasn't raised religiously I've been on a religious exploration for the past 6 years or so. Ive been to a few temples, a few mosques, a bunch of churches....many places piqued my interest and many of them made me feel welcome but none of them gave me the shivers I was expecting. I've felt the shivers a few times-listening to speeches, talking to a loved one, writing in my journal, reading something profound, simply tuning into my own thoughts...the shivers come when you connect with another person in a way that doesn't happen everyday. I mean really connect and most times it happens accidently. Through mere conversation I've connected with strangers sometimes on a deeper level than I've ever connected with my closest friends and family. THAT is the power of the word. Most people hear 'the word' and immediately assume religion or the Bible. When I say the word I'm talking about the mating of the mind, physically expressing yourself through language to another person. Words can be used to help or to harm, to lift or to defile. Words are the most powerful things I have ever seen. Where I'm from we have drugs, gun violence, crackheads...anything vile and vicious, you name it, we got it. I'm more afraid of what may come out of your mouth than I am of anything I've seen on the streets. I know the power of my words and yours. Behind every word flows energy.

Peace and love :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment