I am currently reading Fay Weldon's The Life and Loves of a She-Devil and I must say, it is enlightening indeed. I don't agree with many of my english major counterparts who call it a feminist critique of femininity and womanhood as we know it, but I do think Weldon brought it home on more than a few instances.Anybody looking for a solid, funny and fast read should pick this one up. This is a passage from the book I wanted to share with the universe:
"It is dangerous to love houses, to put your trust in buildings...
It is dangerous to love men, to put your trust in love.
It is even more dangerous to have house and man in the same basket..."
Ain' t that the truth! You buy a little house, you call yourself stable. You get yourself a little man, now you call yourself complete...until the house burns down and that asshole runs off with the secretary. Or the maid. Or your best friend. Hell, your roommate even. Yes, your best friend and roommate are viable candidates. "Why?" you ask? Because some females are trifling. They call themselves real but they fake, they swear they're the truth but these girls spit nothing but lies, they call themselves women but they scary as hell. Half of them can't even tell their "friends" what they really feel like! Lol a bunch of lames in homegirl outfits. Ladies, you need to get it together for real.
I'm not really as cynical about love as I sound. I've been in love on more than one occassion and I KNOW how beautiful it is. But when it all falls down, believe me, it all falls down. And sometimes, you just gotta take the rose-colored glasses off and see shit for what it really is. Sometimes a house is just a house, not a home. And sometimes a man is just a man, and not the right man. Shit, he might not even be YOUR man. He might belong to all of Boston, Massachusetts! And that girlfriend you think you have might really belong to all of Columbia, South Carolina or Orlando, Florida. Or Memphis, Tennessee. Need I continue?
And just for the record, the shit I write about isn't always stuff I'm experiencing. Sometimes it's just words for the wise, food for thought or miscellany I wanted to throw into the air. Sometimes my life, always my thoughts, but more times than not just my randomness.
Much Love <3.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Haha, I like that a lot, "It's even more dangerous to have a house and a man in the same basket." Very interesting concept
ReplyDelete