“Don't become a victim of yourself. Forget about the thief waiting in the alley; what about the thief in your mind?”
-Jim Rohn
It is so easy to become a victim of our own thoughts- a victim of our own negative thinking. And many of us don't even realize we're victims. So worried about talking shit and paying attention to everyone else that we aren't paying enough attention to ourselves.
From personal experience I've realized that if you don't support yourself and your dreams first-no one else will. When I wake up in the morning, the first person who asks me how I am always gets a 'great!'- even if I'm not as enthused as I sound. Why you ask? It's simple. If I don't think I'm great how can I expect anybody else to?
I used to think that I needed validation for everything I did. When I got straight A's I was expecting a 'good job'. When I graduated high school I expected a pat on the back. Most of that shit never came. It's not that my family and friends weren't proud or anything...naa, I don't think that was it. They were just doing their own thing. But I resented them for casting a shadow on my shine-I turned myself into a victim of my thoughts by thinking that they didn't care, that I needed to go harder to show and prove. In a twisted way it motivated me to do better...but it also forever fucked up relationships because deep down I felt like they didn't give a fuck. They weren't there when I thought I needed their support. They left me to do me for better or for worse. Don't get me wrong though-with certain individuals in particular there was animoisity over my success. Certain kinds of people subscribe to the 'crabs in a barrel' mentality. They wanna climb on top of you to put themselves in a new position, claw and pinch at you and pull you down when they see you pulling ahead. Those type of people are wolves in sheep clothing and it's up to us to point 'em out and shake 'em fast.
But what I'm speaking on today is the idea that we ourselves need to be our own cheerleaders. We run into these dream killers who listen to our dreams and aspirations and make it their duty to destroy them as best they can. Damn frenemies. Fuck them! Fuck the thieves in the alleys and kill the thief in your mind. Don't set yourself up for failure by thinking that you can't do shit, that you can't accomplish what you want to acheive. Don't ever let anybody steal your dream because my dream is the only thing in this universe that keeps me breathing. Family has let me down, men have hurt me, I'm best friend-less. But my dream, my dream has been rockin' with me since I was 9 years old. Now that it's almost time for me to graduate college and put my thoughts to fruition I don't expect shit. Hell, part of me doesn't even want them to pay attention. I do what I do for me now. I don't need anyone's acknowledgement or approval. As long as Laniesha's happy with Laniesha everything will be good. “Don't become a victim of yourself. Forget about the thief waiting in the alley; what about the thief in your mind?”
Just some daily randomness <3
Monday, June 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment